Unrestored Town House in the Shadow of Xewkia Church Ideal Bed & Breakfast Conversion
Gozo Direct Real Estate is proud to present an original and unrestored spacious townhouse within the shadow of the famous Xewkija Church. This fantastic townhouse sits within a couple of minutes of the church and the village square with quaint shops and restaurants. This house is ready to be converted into a guest house or bed and breakfast. Most of the original features are unspoilt, including the tiled floors, high beamed ceilings and galleried staircase.
There is a possibility to purchase the access rights to the garden. This is via the steel doors to the left of the property. This would give the option of converting the garden outhouse into living accommodation. There is plenty of outdoor space, with an external building that would easily convert into more living space. There are three vast bedrooms of approx 30 sq metres each. The property is being sold as seen with funiture and many possible antiques. The building needs some TLC, that's for sure. However, the potential is huge. Early viewing is highly recommended as this property is priced to sell very quickly.
On Street Parking
Fully Furnished with any antiques that are included in the sale
Large Rooms with traditional tiling
Lounge Dining Room
Gozo Area Information
Malta can see Xewkija's massive church from Gozo. Definitely go. Mgarr ix-Xini is one of the most beautiful and remote bays. Ghajnsielem and Victoria are near Xewkija, a major village. Xewkija, Arabic and Maltese for thistles, may have referred to a thistle-covered environment. It's impossible to imagine Xewkija before its growth.Gozo's oldest settlement was the first to secede from Victoria in 1678. Xewkija could sustain itself due to its fertile feeds, two towers, and proximity to the Citadel. This autonomy allowed Xewkija to quickly flourish, as shown by the University of Malta (Gozo Section), the Employment & Training Corporation buildings, a major Industrial Estate, the Government Farm, the Gozo Stadium, and two important cemeteries.
Xewkija's grand church is its most notable landmark. St. John the Baptist's Rotunda (1695-1734) is Gozo's largest. The dome was raised in 1830 and the bell tower was completed in 1738. Since 1397, Tal-Madonna tal-Hniena, or the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy, has been dedicated to St. Bartholomew. Xewkija has many historic niches on home facades and street corners.
The Knights' windmill shows the eight main wind directions. The Santa Cecilja tower is one of several towers from the same period. The Majmuna marble slab, with an Arabic inscription from 1173 marking the death of an Arab girl, was once part of a pagan sanctuary. The chapel may have been built atop prehistoric Megalithic Temple remnants. Pottery, animal bones, and Punic artifacts were found around Xewkija. 1951 found a 6.85-meter Roman wall near tal-Horob. The Museum of Archaeology has several objects from various periods and a Roman Olive Mill.
Mgarr ix-Xini—Galley Port—is a prominent section of Gozo in Xewkija. It was a beautiful steep-sided watercourse at the mouth of a deep valley that gave protection during storms. Wied Mgarr ix-Xini is a biodiverse valley with several mystery pans that may have been part of a clay lavation process for Arab pottery production. Find a nearby ancient cave with massive stalactites. Il-Qniepen, the Bells, is the cave's name, maybe from the stalagmites' shape or resonance sound before breaking off. Modern abseilers exploit this partially caved-in troglodyte cave!